March 15, 2012

Red Chile Chicken with Rice and Black Beans

This dish has been a long time coming for me. I first saw the recipe back in October, and it immediately went onto my must try list. The delay was due to the spice it called for, "Ancho Chili Powder".  I'd never tasted or heard of Ancho Chili Powder before, so I was not about to substitute. I was now on a mission to find that spice. Living out in the middle of farm country, that was not an easy task. I finally found that Penzey's sold it, so I sent for it in my most recent order. I am so glad I waited, its a lovely smokey chili flavor, without much heat....in my opinion :) But I like things with a little kick, so most don't always agree with my thoughts on what is hot or not. You try it and decide! 




Red Chile Chicken with Rice and Black Beans (adapted from Smells Like Home)

2 T. canola oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 1/2 T. ancho chili powder, divided
1 large onion, diced
1 c. white rice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 c. chopped cilantro
Salt

Heat oil in a large heavy pot, over medium high heat.  Season chicken breasts with salt and 1 Tablespoon of ancho chili powder.  Place chicken in hot oil, and brown on each side, about 3 minutes.  Remove chicken to plate, leaving behind as much oil as possible.  

Add onion and rice to pot. Stir for several minutes, until the rice turns from translucent to opaque.  Add garlic and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of ancho chili powder. Cook one minute, and then add broth and salt, to taste.  Stir well.  Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat to medium low.  Cover, and cook for 10 minutes.  

Cut chicken into 1" pieces.  Add them to the pot along with beans.  Cover and cook 12 minutes longer, or until rice is tender. 

Top with additional cilantro, sour cream and cheese and desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly