October 24, 2012

Crockpot Tavern Sandwich

Have you ever had a Tavern before?? I have had this recipe for years, but never really new why it was named a "Tavern". It's very much like a "Sloppy Joe" or whatever name they may have in your region. Thanks again to Wikipedia for giving me the answer... Tavern Sandwich is a regional term originating from Iowa for a "Sloppy Joe". I lived in Iowa for years, and still live very close to Iowa, but I am sure I didn't get the recipe from any one I know in the area. Oh well. That's what I get for not keeping track of where my recipes come from!

This is a great crockpot recipe for your busy days. I brown the meat the night before, throw it all in the crockpot in the morning, and the guys could feed themselves! Have the slotted spoon close at hand, since these are super juicy. They go perfect on a crusty bun, and would be great with a side of mac and cheese!





Crockpot Tavern Sandwich

2 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion - chopped
1 c. ketchup
1 t. chili powder
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
1 t. Worcestershire Sauce
2 c. beef broth or water

In skillet, brown ground beef; drain well.  Place browned beef and remaining ingredients in crockpot.  Stir well to mix all ingredients.  Cover and cook on low setting for 8 - 10 hours.

Enjoy :) 


Printable Recipe here

Sharing this recipe at:
Thursdays Treasures
Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Manic Mondays
Farm Girl Friday  
Weekend Potluck
Foodie Friends Friday  
Strut Your Stuff Saturday

HungryLittleGirl

18 comments:

  1. Interesting recipe! Sandwich looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Farmgirl Friday.

    This looks really yummy. Like sloppy Joe's, only healthier/less processed. Thanks for sharing!

    Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Thanks for stopping by! On my way over to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  3. I have never heard "Sloppy Joes" called "Taverns" before. I am from Nebraska and they are sloppy joes. I married and moved to northwest South Dakota where they are called "Wimpies."

    My Sister lives northwest of Des Moines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, I have never heard of "Wimpies" before either! Interesting. My Gram who is in Northeast Iowa, does call them "Maid Rites". That is the only other name I have heard for them.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of a tavern before. They look very similar to sloppy joes! They look delicious! Thanks for joining Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really yummy Kris! I guess I know them as sloppy joes, too. But I love crockpot cooking, especially this time of year and I'm looking forward to trying this recipe in the crockpot! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious!! Visiting from this gal cooks/marvelous mondays.
    Connie from Sadieloohoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Newest follower here! I found you through the Monday link up! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Call it whatever you want to! It looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made Sloppy Joe's for years, it I like this name better!!! I'm your newest follower ;). I'd love for you to visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a little hint (I hope you don't mind), but you may want to remove "word verification" from your blog. Many bloggers won't comment if its on there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to let you know...this recipe is being featured at Weekend Potluck today. Please come by and grab your featured button. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing this on Manic Monday!! Pinned and shared on FB and Twitter :) hope to see you next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard them called Taverns. Sloppy Joes, Maid Rights or Loose Meat Sandwiches. Whatever they're called, we love them.

    Curious how you came up with your blog title, it's a fun name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love learning new things. I didn't know they were called Taverns.
    They look very yummy!
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza!
    Come back today and vote for your favorite and maybe get a spot on my Wall of Fame!
    Here is the link: http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/10/october-31st-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom used to make these when we were kids; yum! :)
    Thanks for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week, I hope you'll join us for the next hop!

    Cheers,
    Thanks for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week, I hope you'll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly