March 23, 2013

Spring Bean Salad

Who's ready for spring?? I am, and I am ready for some spring flavors. I love meatloaf and mashed potatoes, spaghetti and meatballs, but I am just ready for some lighter flavors, textures and so very ready for some in season produce!

It's a little to early for fresh local produce here, but it will soon arrive. In the meantime, I threw together a light, refreshing, tasty bean salad. You can really tweek this to whatever is in season, and how much time you have on hand. Have time to make your own beans, go for it! I typically don't have the patience. The recipe that inspired this salad called for watercress, but that is not yet in season here, so I used baby spinach. But go ahead, use whatever "green" sounds good to you!



Spring Bean Salad (Adapted from Happyolks)

3 15 oz can beans (kidney, garbanzo, butter, great northern - any combination)**
1 red onion, sliced thinly
3 c. baby spinach, rinsed and drained
2 lemons
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. celery flake***
Salt
Pepper

Drain and rinse beans. Add to medium bowl. Add red onion and baby spinach to beans. Juice lemons; add juice and extra virgin olive oil to beans and veggies. Toss lightly.  Season to taste, with salt and pepper. Let rest in fridge overnight for best flavor. Toss lightly before serving. 

**The firmer the bean, the better it will hold up. The great northern beans, somewhat melted into the salad.

***If you like celery, slice up a stalk or two and use in place of the celery flake. I am not a celery girl, so always use "celery flake" as a substitution.

Sharing this recipe at:
Sweet and Savoury Sunday
Clever Chicks Blog Hop
What I am eating
Wednesday Extravaganza
Thursdays Treasures
Weekend re-Treat 
Pin Me Linky Party
What I am Eating
Finding the Pretty & Delicious 
Strut your Stuff Saturday 
Scrumptious Sundays

8 comments:

  1. That sounds really yummy! I am ready for lighter food, too. Getting so tired of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good! I cannot wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris...this really looks delish! I can't wait for really good fresh produce to come out again because I really love salads like this. And I think I actually prefer it with the spinach! Looking good! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh produce, yes, I am ready for spring too :-) I would love for you to share this at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/03/what-i-am-eating_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Thursday's Treasures. This is the kind of thing I need to keep in mind for lunch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is looking so good, i love salads! http://bestsidedishs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally intrigued by the celery flakes. I am not a celery fan either. This looks like the perfect summer salad. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party. I hope you come visit & link again.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly